“Get yourself a mirror and paint
your own portrait, over and over. It's a great chance to experiment, you'll
discover things about yourself, and you don't have to pay the model!” –Susan
Avishai
Self portraits are a splendid way to
practice drawing faces. You know the model will always be there whenever you
decide to work, after all, and, as Susan Avishai said, you don’t have to pay
the model. One of my first projects in my ninth grade art class was to do my
self-portrait. It's a very manageable goal. So, shall we begin?
The first
step is to gather your tools. We can’t begin drawing until we have everything
together. You will need a decently sized mirror so that you can see your face
from the position you will be drawing from without needing to tweak it about
all the time. You will also need a pencil, an eraser, a sketchpad, and probably
also an ebony. (An ebony is a darker pencil, essentially. It marks blacker and
is great for shadows; it can save lives if you draw lightly, as I do. One
beloved teacher of mine got into the habit of throwing them at me.) I might
also suggest a pencil sharpener.
Now, on to the drawing. Ish. Settle in
for the long haul, kids, because once you start drawing yourself, you won’t
want to be moving much. Make certain you’re in a comfortable position. Now,
what we do next is called sighting. Here, you hold a pencil or other
straightedge up to figure angles (such as down the bridge of the nose to figure
how the head is tilted) and transfer them to the paper. I suggest doing this on
the nose, mouth, and eyes.
Draw a large circle through the centre of
the paper. Don’t start drawing off on some corner of the paper; centre your
work. If you have, draw the circle, erase the sighted lines in the corners, and
redraw them through the circle. (Be sure to keep the right angles! Having the
wrong angles will make trying to draw the portrait absolute murder later. You
need those angles accurate, at least mostly so; they are the very foundations
of your drawing.) From the circle, you will bring down the basic jaw shape. You
can sight these lines as well. Also take a moment to sketch in the shoulders
and basics, such as the collar of your shirt.
Here, you can see that on my sighted
lines, I have roughly placed the basic features. I have rough, light circles
for the eyes and slashes for the end of the nose and the mouth. I have also
roughed out my hair.
Here we will draw the eyes. Look at your
particular eyes for eye shape, but most tend to be vaguely almond shaped.
Within this shape, you will draw smaller circles showing the iris, and pupils
within those. Also notice the little pink pearls at the inner corners of the
eyes. Eyelids are also important.
Next, we draw in the eyebrows. Just
follow the shapes of your own. Make certain not to fill them in completely;
eyebrows are made of hair and, therefore, not solid. Also mark on eyelashes.
Eyelashes are somewhat like messy crescents. Don’t forget the lower lashes.
(And, yes! Men have eyelashes too; just look at yours in that mirror.) These
should be darker than the rest of the lines on the eye so far, save the pupil.
We also get the fun of drawing the nose. Noses tend to come in various shapes
and sizes. Some are long and straight, some rounded, some crooked, some big,
some small. And everything in between. Pay close attention to the mirror here.
You want to draw what you see, not what you think. When it comes to the nostrils,
you can fill them in with the pencil, rather than leaving open circles. Unless
you’re being lit for below, they will probably be shadowed. I generally only
draw up the bridge on the side with the shadows, following it up to the
eyebrows.
And now the mouth. This one can be a bit
tricky for me, personally. On the line that I marked for mouth level earlier, I
draw a thin bow-type shape (hunting, not hair). This points down, the corners
curling up. Next, I lightly shade out the upper lip. I then mark a curve for
the bottom lip. I darken the bow I drew originally to give a sense of depth.
Also add the dip between the upper lip and nose.
Now, a while ago I marked out some of the
shadows on my neck. Here, I also mark some of the more pronounced ones in my hair.
It would also be a good chance to stop and remove guidelines. The features are
on, you don’t need the sighting lines anymore.
I wear glasses. Many of you won’t,
but some of you will. Glasses can be tricky to draw. You can start at the
bridge of the nose and draw the part that covers it. Add on the nose pads and
follow the arch of one then the other of the lenses, drawing in the frame. Be
sure to draw what you see and not what you think. Follow the legs up and behind
the ears. Also, mark where any glare shines very lightly for later, if you
like.
Here the shading begins. I drew in the
details of the ear and finished shading my neck. Don’t be afraid to use really
dark values; you’ll like the contrast later. Follow your eyes and draw what you
see; that’s the only real key to shading.
Also, note the shadows the clothing, hair, and jaw cast. It’s important
to create interaction between the different parts of the drawing, otherwise
there is no unity to the piece.
I added more here to the eyelashes, darkening
and allowing them to be a little less organized.
Here’s some fun: eyes. I love drawing
eyes. Here we start with putting down a general shade. (If your eyes are very
pale, you might not have to do this.) Make certain to leave highlights! After
this, you can start putting down shadows. These are generally around the edge
of the iris opposite your light source in particular.
Though there are also shadows around the
rims of the iris and near the pupil. There is a separate shadow at the top of
the eye, iris and not, from the eyelid. There also tends to be a small on
across the bottom of the eye simply because it’s round.
You can see the difference the shading
made, yeah?
Yeah?
Now you do the same to the other eye. And
don’t worry about making them match perfectly. Nothing in nature is perfectly
symetrical.
Here we do some more shading, the shading
around the eye to be particular. If you’ve ever put on makeup, you’ll have some
idea how this works; if not, let me enlighten you. Do some medium shading over
the eyelid and out to just under the arch of the eyebrow. Leave a highlight
under the arch of the brow. Over at the crease of eyelid, create a shadow to
imply depth. If you have circles under your eyes as I do, you should also add
these in now.
Here you can see the outcome of this a
little better. (I couldn’t see the exact quality of my pictures as I was taking
them, and I couldn’t precisely go to check each one otherwise I would break my
rhythm of drawing. My apologies.) I also added in the shadow cast by my glasses.
Repeat the process on the other eye.
Though, note how this side is darker? This side of my face is more in shadow
than the other. Not everything is going to be symmetrical. Little is, really.
You’re used to this in everyday life, but it may take some people to get more
used to this in your art. You’ll catch the hang of it, though.
Shadow over the nose. Be careful with
your shadow and highlight here. Make the transition smooth so to give the
rounded shapes on the nose and face. The jawline tends to be dark because of
shadows on the underside. Under the nose and the temples are also places to
take notice.
Shade over the cheeks and watch the face
for wrinkles from smiling or such. I notice my own lips tend to have shadows by
the corner of my mouth.
Shade in the lips and finish off the
shading on the face. Note that the inside of the lips tend to be darker. Leave
highlights on the bottom lip and shade underneath it. The chin needs to be
watched for shadows as well. Often it will be darker on one side in a somewhat
round shadow. The top generally has a highlight due to being higher up and
catching more light.
Next I determine the shadows on one area.
I also marked in the medium tones lightly. Draw sketchily here. No smudging, no
smoothness. Hair is tons of tiny lines. That’s what your drawing should be
implying.
Here you finish off the medium tones.
Also note that my hair is a bit darker at the roots, near the part. If you have
highlights or dye your hair, yours may be the same.
Integrate the part in to the rest of the
hair. Keep drawing back over and adding value until you have definite
highlights and shadows.
Add in medium tones. If you have no
really bright highlights, you can shade over the entire area in your lightest
tone.
Now add in those medium tones and leave
your highlights. You may need to add in deeper tones. Strive for really good
value and don’t be afraid to use that ebony whenever you need it. Otherwise,
press firmly with that pencil. It’s not made of china; it can take the
pressure.
And that’s the top area of my hair. See
what the darker values do to offset the value through my face? It all comes
together in unity.
You know how I said that you were
blocking in things roughly? Here I found that on second glace, the hair ties
were too far down my hair. I had to go back and correct. Don’t be afraid of
your mistakes or to make changes as you go along.
Here I rough in some of the shadows on my
braid. Hair doing something other than lying flat can be a bit different to
draw. Hair is definitely all about directional lines. Draw the lines in the
direction that the hair in moving. If it’s curling, you’d best be bringing that
pencil around and around with it.
I finished off the hair shading. Notice
that the ends of my hair are shaggy. It’s unlikely that your hair is going to
end in a perfectly straight line either. You’ll need to break it up with your
pencil. Vertical (and nearly vertical) lines can be your friends here. If that
doesn’t look like what your hair is doing, though, don’t. We are drawing what
we see, after all. (Bet you’re sick of that line by now, aren’tcha?)
I finished off by just marking in my
shirt with the ebony. Cloth and clothing value is definitely a lesson all it’s
own.
And here’s the end product. You should
now know how to draw a self-portrait. Any questions or comments? Leave them in
the comments. Followed this through and have your end product posted somewhere?
Leave the link. I’ll be glad to hear from all of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment